Saturday, May 5, 2007

2nd Trimester!

Me at 13 weeks

The fetus is now nearly 3 inches / 7 to 8 centimetres long from crown to rump and weighs nearly an ounce / 23 grams -- about half a banana. Its unique fingerprints are already in place. And when you poke your stomach gently and she feels it, your baby will start rooting -- that is, act as if she's searching for a nipple. If you're having a girl, she now has approximately 2 million eggs in her ovaries; she will have only a million by the time she's born. She'll have fewer eggs as she gets older, and by age 17, the number will have dropped to 200,000. As for you, the fog may be lifting, so to speak. For many women, the side effects of early pregnancy -- frequent urination, intense fatigue, nausea -- diminish sometime in the second trimester. Your uterus, while large enough to announce to onlookers that you're indeed pregnant, isn't so huge that it gets in your way. Even though birth is months away, your breasts may already start making colostrum, the fluid that will feed your baby for the first few days before your milk comes in.
I'm happy to be at this milestone in our pregnancy! The nausea is pretty much behind me except if I get hungry or move too fast. I still feel I like napping in the afternoons but try to avoid it to help ensure I sleep well at night. Charles & I bought a new bed so in a week we'll hopefully be sleeping in the same bed again! My two recent 'side effects' of the pregnancy are a bit more manageable, sort of. My emotions rule my life at the moment & I cry mostly everyday. Charles is probably wanting to lock me in the bedroom soon! I've also developed a shooting pain up my tailbone everytime I sit down. A couple women told me (and I've read) that it could be my pelvis shifting but a doctor I spoke to yesterday siad it could be from the weight gain & sitting too much. I like the first reason better. After two days of rain, today is finally sunny & warm. So, while Charles is inside an airplane all day I'll spend the majority of the day outside.


No comments: