Thursday, April 12, 2007

Missing B.C.!

After my first prenatal appointment yesterday I am definitely wishing I still lived in B.C. I was very lucky over the years to have the same doctor and his great residents provide my health care. I took for granted having a relationship with a single doctor who has known me since birth.

The doctor I visited with yesterday was just shy of negligent. To make a very long, upsetting story short I received substandard care and left feeling very fortunate to be educated enough to know I needed to find another doctor. If I was a young woman who had not read any type of pregnancy literature I would have left that office completely dumbfounded.

One of the upsetting details was the fact that the doctor told me I didn't need an ultrasound until 18 weeks. Most of the pregnant women I know had a first trimester ultrasound and it is recommended in most books. This is for several reasons, like more accurately dating the pregnancy and visualizing where the pregnancy is. To make matters worse, I had some very slight spotting on the weekend (which I had mentioned to the doctor, to which she replied "yes, I saw that on your Pap test".... "if it continues, just rest") which needs to be assessed, properly. On the requisition form for the ultrasound she wrote "to assess slight hemorrhage".... at 18 weeks?! Two laboratories I spoke with said the ultrasound needed to be done now, which is exactly what is happening this afternoon.

The whole experience has been very stressful but this is the sad state of some parts our medical system. It has driven home the fact that we have to take responsibility for our own health and that is what I have done. I have an appointment with a new doctor next week for another "first" prenatal exam. I asked the very friendly and helpful assistant where the doctor received his medical training and how long he has been practicing; I never thought I would do that but after working with a few incompetent foreign veterinarians & my personal experience with foreign trained doctors I feel I have every right to put myself first despite offending a few doctors who should not be practicing in Canada.

So, I have to move on and try to keep positive. Charles has been very supportive (even though I am constantly giving him a hard time!) and is taking the afternoon off to come to the ultrasound with me. I hope to have good news later today.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Hello Kim and Charles; I am feeling for you in your moment of stress. Here is my BC experience, with your old doctors (despite the fact that the doctors here are great). "Hello, I think I'm pregnant. Should I come in for a checkup?" "No, we don't want to seen you until 12 weeks along." "But the books say..." "No, we don't want to see you until 12 weeks." My ultrasounds, as your jerk of a doctor pointed out, weren't until I was around 18 - 20 weeks, and they wouldn't book me in sooner. Baby is soooo cute. We love the ultrasound pictures and isn't it exciting to hear the heartbeat. Take care. PG Yips

Anonymous said...

People should read this.