Sunday, April 29, 2007

12 week update


Your baby's face is beginning to look more human, even though she is only about 2 inches/5.5cm long from her crown to her rump and weighs slightly less than half an ounce/ 14 grams. The eyes, which started out on the sides of the head, have moved closer together. The ears are almost in their normal position on the side of the head. The liver is making bile and the kidneys are secreting urine in the bladder. The fetus squirms if your abdomen is prodded, although you cannot yet feel movement. Fetal nerve cells have been multiplying rapidly and synapses (neurological connections in your brain) are forming. The fetus has acquired more reflexes: touching the palms makes the fingers close, touching the soles of the feet makes the toes curl down and touching the eyelids makes the eye muscles clench.



Though the nausea seems to be fading, the fatigue still attacks with a vengeance. I feel like I'm in a haze most days no matter what I do. I went for a walk yesterday in some nice sunny, warm weather which felt good but I don't feel the boost of energize I normally would with exercising. For the past two weeks I have had progressively sore hips. This could be hormonal and/or the bed I sleep on (literature says to avoid firm mattresses while pregnant). While Charles is away I sleep in the spare bed as it is much softer. Hormones have been toying with my emotions the past couple days. I cry at just about anything; cried most of yesterday and today is starting about the same. I'm fine with crying at home, I just don't want to have it happen in public or at work. Poor Charles....

Besides all the drama stuff... I have felt flutters twice now in the same area which I think is my uterus. A very distinct feeling that I've never had before. And last evening I actually had Braxton Hicks contractions (I believe)... it caught me off guard & was very weird. I definitely look forward to my second trimester as they say it is the only time you can really enjoy your pregnancy!




No comments: